The State Sponsored Life Insurance (SSLI)
The State Sponsored Life Insurance (SSLI) program is derived from United States Public Law 93-289, May 1974, Title 37, Section 707, and is offered through the Nebraska National Guard. The program is comprised of a combination of several voluntary group life insurance policies sponsored by the National Guard Association of Nebraska. SSLI is available to all members of the Nebraska National Guard, officer and enlisted. The National Guard Association of Nebraska (NGA-NE) administers the program under a Memorandum of Understanding with the Military Department.
The NGN-NE is a member of the Militia Insurance Trust (MIT). The Militia Insurance Trust is comprised of 13 National Guard Associations.
Every eligible member of the Nebraska National Guard is covered with $1,000 SSLI at no cost to the member. This $1,000 benefit is provided through the Militia Insurance Trust’s Guardian Group Term Life Insurance Policy.
Key Benefits of the SSLI
1. Over $1,000,000 in coverage is available for the Nebraska National Guard’s members through a combination of the SSLI policies.
2. Coverage is available for your spouse and children.
3. Rates do not go up just because you separate from the National Guard –you can keep your coverage and premium amount when you separate.
4. Coverage 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
5. No War Exclusion – you are covered in combat.
6. No Aviation Exclusion – aviators are covered.
7. New Recruits are eligible for $10,000 SSLI coverage under the MIT Guardian Group Term Life Insurance policy at no cost for the first year of service in the Nebraska National Guard. Premiums are paid by your association. Enrollment must occur within 180 days of joining the Nebraska National Guard.
Go to www.NGSSLI.com for more information including eligibility, benefits, rates, exclusions, limitations and renewal provisions. Enrollment form and brochure are also available to download, complete and mail to the Administrator.
USBA and Militia Guardian Group Term Life Insurance policies are underwritten by New York Life Insurance Company on Policy form GMR. NEW YORK LIFE and the NEW YORK LIFE Box Logo are trademarks of New York Life Insurance Company.
MBA’s SSLI Level to Age 50 and Better Alternative group life policies are underwritten by Met Life.