Retiree Council

Retirees News and Updates

  • Retiree Briefing - Kearney


    Nebraska National Guard (Army and Air) retirees and spouses of retirees are invited to attend a retiree briefing in Kearney, May 10, 2017.

    Briefing will be held at the American Legion Post 52 in Kearney beginning at 7:00 PM.
    Burger basket special available from 5:30 - 7:30 PM.

    POC: Garth Scism (308) 440-0599 or

  • 06-24-2017

    Veteran's Freedom Music Festival will be held June 24th at the Lincoln VA Campus (600 S. 70th St). ADMISSION IS FREE

    Gates open at 10:00 AM, with the opening ceremony starting at 10:30 AM and closing ceremony at 5:00 PM.

    Local Bands
    Art Show
    Veteran Information
    Kids Activities (11AM-4PM)

  • ANG Retiree Breakfast - Lincoln

    The ANG Retiree Breakfast will be held at Stauffer's Cafe

    Address: 5600 S. 48th Street (just off 48th and Old Cheney)

    Start time is 7:00am

  • ARNG Retiree Breakfast - Lincoln

    The Army National Guard Retiree Breakfast will be held at Virginia's Cafe

    Address: 3820 Cornhusker Highway

    Start time is 7:00 am

  • **Nebraska National Guard Museum Help Needed**

    The museum is looking for a few good men and women to help with clean up, organizing exhibits, making occasional runs to Lincoln, and to act as a tour guide when needed.

    If you are interested in volunteering please contact (402) 309-8763

  • 6-14-16

    Military ID card information and locations.

  • 1-14-16

    Attached is information regarding Legislative Bill 880

  • 12-24-15

    Attached is information on the new Omaha National Cemetery. More information about VA's National Cemetery Administration is available online at:

  • Starting October 1, 2015, a new law requires all TRICARE beneficiaries, except active duty service members, to get select brand name maintenance drugs through either TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery or from a military pharmacy. Beneficiaries who keep using a retail pharmacy for these drugs will have to pay the full cost.

  • Please follow the steps indicated on the website to report the death as soon as possible.

  • How to Report the Death of a Retired Soldier

    Taken from Army Echoes publication (June-Sept 2015 issue)

    Contact the Department of the Army Casualty and Mortuary Affairs Operations Center anytime by calling (800) 626-3317. You will be immediately referred to a local Casualty Assistance Center, who will report the death to the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) to stop retired pay and then iniate the survivor benefits process. When reporting the death, please provide as much of the information below as you have:

    -Full name -Next of kin information
    -Social security number and/or service number -Circumstances surrounding the death
    -Retirement date -Copy of death certificate
    -Retired rank -Copy of the Statement of Service (last DD Form 214)

  • A checklist to keep on file once you retire. Handy tool for spouses to use in case of emergency

  • You may qualify to have a Veteran's designation displayed on your Nebraska license or ID card and get a Veteran's License Plate..

    To be eligible, you must FIRST register with the Nebraska Department of Veteran's Affairs Registry at
    or by contacting the VA at 402-471-2450.

    Questions related to this registry should be directed to: Nebraska Department of Veteran's Affairs, 301 Centennial Mall South, Lincoln, NE 68509.

    If the "Veteran" designation is added at renewal time, there is no extra fee to do so, you may also apply for a replacement document outside of their renewal period to add the designation. A replacement document fee will be charged.

    Veterans who are eligible and who want to add the "Veteran" designation to their driver licenses or State ID cards are encouraged to do so at You may also do so at any driver licensing office.

  • The Warrior and Family Support Office is looking for volunteers.

    If you have time to spare and would like to help please contact

    Unit and Event Support - (402) 309-7345
    Child and Youth Support - (402) 309-7330
    Prescription Program Support - (402) 309-7332

  • 1-26-15

    TRICARE meets the minimum essential health care coverage requirements of the Affordable Care Act (ACA).

    If you need more information please visit

  • 8-18-14

    The Army G-1 is expanding the distribution of the electronic edition of "ECHOES" in order to maintain communications with retired soldiers, surviving spouses and their families. Please read attached message to learn more.

  • 8-12-14

    This Defense Health Agency (DHA) brochure explains TRICARE Options for current Guard and Reserve Members, and Retirees.

  • 8-14-13

    TRICARE For Life Beneficiaries May Have Higher Costs When Using VA Facilities for Care Not Related to Service Connected Disability - PLEASE READ ATTACHED LETTER FOR CLARIFICATION.

  • Information regarding the transition from TRIWEST to United Healthcare

  • All retirees, even TRICARE for Life recipients, may receive one pair of standard issue glasses each year from the Naval Ophthalmic Support and Training Activity. Visit the NOSTRA website and select the "How to Order: Retirees" link for more information. Family members and surviving spouses are not entitled to NOSTRA support. Learn more about TRICARE vision benefits at the TRICARE beneficiary portal. surveys have found that most servicemembers and their families are confused by TRICARE. Get the facts and latest news on TRICARE.

  • Here is another means for retirees to get prescription eyeglasses for free.

    Visit the NOSTRA (Naval Ophthalmic Support & Training Activity) website for more information.

  • TRICARE Dental Program Changes Contractor

    As of May 1, 2012, Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, Inc. (MetLife) is the new TRICARE Dental Program (TDP) contractor.

    Beneficiaries purchasing TDP will see expanded dental benefits beginning May 1 with lower monthly premium rates than last year.

    TDP information is available by calling 1-855-638-8371 in the U.S., 1-855-638-8372 outside the United States or online through the MetLife TDP website at

    The website has more information about costs, coverage details and finding a provider. For more information about TRICARE's dental programs, visit the TRICARE Dental webpage at

  • To view the Prairie Soldier on-line follow the link to the edition you want to view.

    You can also subscribe to receive the Prairie Soldier by email.

  • Air Force Retiree Newsletter

    To receive a digital copy or to review older versions visit:

  • To read this and past issues visit:

    Issues can be read on-line or printed.